Speech and Language Therapist
Work context/Areas of interest and specialism:
- I am an Independent Speech and Language Therapist currently working with children age ranges 4 -16 years, in mainstream schools
- I am committed to joint working with Education staff for the benefit of the children we support, and the development of the staff involved. As part of this service, I offer professional supervision to Speech and Language Therapists, and professional support to Education staff in Primary and Secondary schools
- Working in mainstream schools means that I have experience of children with a wide range of with communication disorders, their families and supporting staff. I am particularly interested in helping schools train all teaching staff to be more ‘communication aware’, to adopt whole school approaches and to work flexibly with staff to support the communication needs of the children in their school
- I have over 30 years’ experience as a paediatric Speech and Language Therapist. I have worked in the NHS, in a Social Enterprise and in the last 3 years, as an independent practitioner. This has included working at all levels in Speech and Language Therapy teams, including as a service lead and many years in team lead roles.
- I have set up and led a range of projects and teams in specialist settings and mainstream schools. As I still work in schools now, I am very aware of the demands, challenges and stresses faced by a practising therapist in this setting.
- I have given professional, clinical and managerial supervision to staff throughout my service as a Speech and Language Therapist. I have completed all 3 foundation supervision courses offered by intandem and am committed to continuing to develop my supervision skills. I receive regular supervision on my own clinical and supervision practice.
Training and Membership:
- BSc (Hons) in Clinical Communication Studies at City University (London)
- Member of RCSLT, HCPC, ASLTIP, NAPLIC
- I have attended training in many clinical areas relevant to my roles over the years. Most recently these include further training in supervision, Social Thinking, SCERTS, Selective Mutism
Description of supervision service:
Speech and language therapists ✅
Allied health professionals ✅
NHS workers ✅
Independent practitioners ✅
Social service employees
Education staff ✅
Voluntary sector workers ✅
Newly qualified practitioners
Managerial Supervision ✅
Professional Supervision ✅
Supervision of supervision ✅
— supervisor’s base ✅
— supervisee’s base ✅
— neutral location ✅
Video teleconference: ✅
Description of supervision approach:
I provide a non-judgemental, safe space for people to reflect, problem solve and develop as therapists and practitioners. I offer a range of supervision approaches depending on individual experience and needs and regularly ‘check in’ with my supervisees to ensure my skills and style meets their needs. My experience of working closely with colleagues from Education means I can offer an insight into a range of perspectives and support people working in both Health and Education.
You are welcome to contact me for an initial discussion to see if what I can offer is what you feel you are looking for.
Phone: 07594 603 010